I don’t know about you but I instantly jump to ideas of
Julian Assange holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy. Has he tarnished the
reputation of the whistle-blower? Should we be protecting those who spill the
dirty laundry of their organisation?
Assange has made a name for himself, through his leaking of high
profile and secretive documents of the US government. Now, is he a hero, or is
he a criminal? We all know the high-profiles in the US aren’t a fan, but hasn’t
Assange done the public a favour?
Many companies are now encouraging whistle blowing. And
really, shouldn’t we all? There may be better ways to go about putting
secretive information online for the world to see, but if it is in the best
interest of the public to know (to be a whistle-blower the information you are
leaking is defined as being this), these people should be able to tell their
information.
Whistleblowers Australia has been established to support and
help protect those who have secretive information to share. Organisations like this would be beneficial for cases such as Gillian Sneddon's, in which she lost her job and was subsequently unemployed for several years after whistle-blowing about Milton Orkopoulous’s illegal behaviours. She reported legitimate misdemeanours and was punished for doing so.
Although I think we need to remember that there is a big difference between whistle-blowing and leaking information (where it is deemed the information was not in the best interest of the public), there needs to be more laws to protect people who are doing the right thing by uncovering the wrong doings of companies, organisations or people.
I couldn't agree more.
ReplyDeleteI think its great that whilst blowing cases such as Assange and Snowden have shed some light on important issues and information that would have otherwise been kept from the public. Although I understand the implications such cases can have on society and national security but I still find myself thankful that governments and high-profile individuals are now a little more accountable for their actions. Additionally such cases have shed light on some serious wrongdoing, which I think is great but I do worry that is not enough support for them and based on the treatment of previous whilstle-blowers, I worry this may make others less likely to act.