Tuesday, 22 October 2013

THE END IS HERE!

Alas, the very last blog (Huzzah!)

My assignment is finally back on track. ACON ever got back to me, so I decided to contact other people. I couldn't wait for them any longer without stressing about the deadline.

This decision has also meant that I have to slightly change the direction of my proposal.
My new main interviewee is a blogger who is living with AIDS and shares his experience on the Internet. He has shared many experiences with me and I feel like it will give a more personal side of the portrayal of HIV/AIDS in the media.

Thinking back on our previous studies in our class, I am going to incorporate the idea of social media sharing as a means of connecting with audiences in this feature. The blogger has been told by many of his audience that his blog is one of few in Australia that truly portray living with HIV/AIDS. I also want to incorporate the idea of social media being a platform for journalists to contact sources, as this was the way that I was able to contact my final interviewee.

I still need to look into some old articles from the uni, but my main idea is to show the difference in media portrayal and a great example of this is the 1987 ad for AIDS awareness. This ad really encompasses the difference in how AIDS was portrayed in the media at the very beginning of AIDS, compared to what we are exposed to now.


Another example shows various news clippings that speak about the HIV/AIDS epidemic and how the disease is mostly amongst homosexuals and discrimination against them.


These days, the media is much more supportive and proactive in trying to bring awareness to the disease. Similarly, the discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS has decreased and is discouraged through laws and regulations. This is a more recent AIDS campaign issue showing celebrities on board to bring awareness.


I feel a lot better about the assignment now, having had my main interview. Looking forward to getting it all finished. Good luck guys!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds very interesting! That 87 AIDS ad is so bizarre, you couldn't even begin to imagine it being aired today. I saw that ad discusses on TV recently, I think it was Gruen Transfer maybe...if you want to look that up.

    ReplyDelete